Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Busy times, Cloudy Nights, and Home Improvement

Whew, the time flies.

I can't believe its been over a month since my last post.

Some quick updates:
The iOptron drives are working much better since I took the mount apart and adjusted the worm gear lash as well as the backlash adjustments.  It is a world of difference now.  I am still struggling with getting nice shots from the camera and my polar alignment is still hard, mostly due to the fact that there is a HUGE tree blocking polaris in my backyard.

Its going away because it has issues and it doesn't really do much in the way of shade for the yard.  Its simply gotten too big.

I will process some shots and post them here in the next day or two.  I successfully imaged M13, M92, and M27.  I attempted andromeda again but there are focus and star drift issues.

I have figured out that I am in PEC territory by looking at successive frames and the stars have a regular oscillating movement which I understand is the hallmark of a PEC issue.

I am also demo'ing a replacement dob.  It is a 12" Meade lightbridge.  The mirror is in questionable shape and will probably need recoating at the least.  I am debating the cost since it is kind of beat up and 600 bucks seems steep for a scope I will need to have the mirror fixed on.   I need some more time with it to be sure.

I have started seriously working on my Messier list.  I have been working with astroplanner  and converting my paper logs into a database so I can take a more planned approach.

I have also started working on a field power setup which I will definitely post shots of when I get to work on it.  I have been working on the HoneyDo's (refinishing wood floors, yard work prepping for winter, re-organizing and decluttering).  I will be working on more astronomy projects when the weather turns south and the garage and house are in better shape!

Clear Skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment